Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Should word processing replace cursive writing?


I definitely agree that teachers should spend the time that they currently spend teaching cursive writing and replace it with teaching keyboarding and word processing functions. According to the article, "Time To Write Off Cursive?" teachers say they simply don't have as much time to spend on cursive handwriting skills because none of the standardized tests given to elementary students measure how well they can write in cursive. If this is true, then why are teachers wasting valuable instruction time on teaching cursive writing? Cursive writing isn't a requirement for students in the new Common Core State Standards for English so instead teaching keyboarding and proper key strokes would benefit these students a lot more than teaching something that they won't be tested on. I understand that students won't be tested on keyboarding either, but I feel that as more and more teachers require assignments to be typed this would definitely benefit students way more. In addition, technology has forced students to learn how to type instead and most middle school aged students don't even read or write in cursive anymore according to the article.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree. Like you mentioned students are given enough instruction time to master the skill of cursive writing and they aren't tested on their proficiency. I'd like to add that cursive writing is an extinct form of communication outside the classroom as well. Handwritten letters have given way to instant messages such as texts and emails. Both of which are sent through word processing devices. This greater emphasizes the need for students to learn how to use these word processing devices so that they are prepared for life after the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that cursive writing is not an essential skill for elementary school students to master. You point out many valid reasons for this, including the absence of cursive writing as part of standardized exams. I found another research article, "Cursive Writing: Are Its Last Days Approaching" in "The Journal of Instructional Psychology" (http://db25.linccweb.org/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=a9h&AN=47880677&site=ehost-live&scope=site) that supports this explanation. I don't think this is surprising, but I wonder how common it is that skills and content are not taught to students because they are not covered on the standardized tests. These test results mean so much for students, teachers, and schools. I wonder exactly how powerful they are in terms of altering curriculum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your blog and the points raised by our fellow classmates. I was all ready to disagree with you on a strictly emotional basis and because I am "old school." However, I have changed my thinking because of recent experience and your very logical argument. As you know I work in a youth prison where we prepare young men, 15 - 24 years old, to take the GED exam. The New 2014 GED exam is only given by computer, the day of the pencil and paper exam is over. Each student must pass the beginner level of Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing before being allowed to take the GED exam. As the Title I teacher in my classroom, it is my job to ensure my students have obtained the necessary keyboarding skills as mandated by the 2014 GED exam.

    ReplyDelete