Monday, June 16, 2014

Do calculators mean the end of memorizing math facts?



I definitely think that the availability of calculators in classrooms means less time children spend memorizing math facts and multiplication facts. In the article, Educators Battle Over Calculator Use critics agree that allowing students to use a calculator who would normally be turned off to math because of frustration or boredom, increases their mathematical understanding. I can actually relate to this statement because memorization has always been a tough area for me, especially multiplication facts. I am a University of Florida graduate and I have still forgotten most of them. I started learning the multiplication facts in 3rd grade and I still haven't memorized all of them! Of course I knew how to multiply, I just didn't memorize them. I thought it was a waste of time, and by 6th grade I was given a calculator to use on tests. I really started to dislike math from 3rd grade until the point I was given one. I normally made B's and C's in elementary school math but then once I was given a calculator and I was learning a little bit harder math I soon started making A's in math and with making those kinds of grades I soon started to enjoy math. I believe I was just bored of memorizing all the time and giving me a calculator actually increased my mathematical understanding because I was able to focus on how to actually figure out the harder problems instead of focusing on memorization skills. In another study by Ohio State University, calculators were found to be a valuable educational tool that allows students to reach a higher level of mathematical power and understanding. Once again, I feel like giving children a calculator at a younger age enables them to understand higher level thinking questions since they don't have to worry about wasting time on recalling multiplication facts.

1 comment:

  1. You are probably right in your assessment of calculators someday replacing memorization of math facts. Being from the old school I feel there is a place for both memorization and calculators in our classrooms. I do agree with the idea of using the calculator for higher level math functions and scientific calculations.

    ReplyDelete